Monday, January 02, 2023

Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine by Sarah Lohman

A few weeks ago I posted about two spicy delights – crispy chilli oil and vegan kimchi – I'd recently discovered. There's another new (to me) product that deserves honourable mention: Huy Fong Sriracha sauce. Late last year I read Sarah Lohman's fascinating book, Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine, and realised I used most of the flavourings (things like black pepper, vanilla, chilli, soy sauce, garlic, etc.) all the time but had barely any concept of Sriracha. What was it? Where did one find it? How to use it? I'd enjoyed the Sriracha Eggs Benedict at Muse but their use of it was subtle. What WAS Sriracha? Turns out it's a hot chilli sauce, and available at any nearby supermarket! I bought a bottle and, oh yes, it's amazing. Addictively good. Now that I have it in the house, I look for any excuse to use it.

I really liked Sarah Lohman's whole book. She explores the history behind each of the eight flavours … how they were brought to the USA and by whom. Intriguing tales. Well worth a read.

No comments: