Sunday, July 25, 2021

A spicy brekkie @ Stand By Me

So, following on from my comment last week that it was hard to find spicy and/or Asian breakfasts in Canberra, today I enjoyed a fabulous bowl of palak paneer [spinach curry with fresh cheese] at our old favourite café, Stand By Me in Lyons! Stand By Me is famous for its eclectic, artistic and themed French toast and we've been there many times over the eight years or so since it opened. There are pics of some of its lovely offerings here and here and here. About a year ago the café changed hands and the new owners seem to be experimenting with different menu items, perhaps to gauge support for a whole new menu.* Today Andrew and I tried the following 'specials':

For me:

Cottage cheese in spinach curry, served with naan bread

For him:

Biscuits with sausage gravy **

It was delicious. I'm always delighted to find breakfast options that aren't cliched and common.

* I really, really hope they don't delete the Ful Medames (Egyptian breakfast beans) from the menu. I may be a bit addicted.

** Here in Australia the term biscuits usually refers to cookies, whereas in North America it seems to refer to things we might call scones or muffins. We discovered this while at Tim Horton's in Canada.

No comments: