Friday, December 21, 2018

'Tis the season to make ice cream

Yesterday I took myself to the movies in the middle of the day. (The film? It was called Can You Ever Forgive Me? I liked it!) I rode my bike and after cycling about 5 km (3 miles) in 33 degree Celsius (91 degree Fahrenheit) heat I splurged on an ice cream at the cinema. The Palace Electric doesn't just have ice creams, it has hand-made choc-tops ... yum! The flavour I chose was called cafe grande and it was delicious. Coffee-flavoured ice cream studded with chocolate-coated coffee beans and encased in chocolate. Oh. My. Goodness.

Anyway ...! Today I made a batch of ice cream. Not having any chocolate-coated coffee beans to hand, I included shredded coconut and cacao nibs instead. These combine well to provide a chocolatey, coconutty flavour and a chewy yet crunchy texture.

600 ml fresh cream
200 g sweetened condensed milk
1 cup shredded coconut
100 g cacao nibs

Whip the cream, add the condensed milk and whip some more, then stir the coconut and cacao nibs through. Combine well and spoon into freezer container/s. Freeze and enjoy. Makes about two litres.

If you want to try other super-simple ice cream flavours (no fancy devices required) you may also like my:

Coconut ice cream
Rocky road ice cream
Green tea ice cream
Baileys and macadamia ice cream
Avocado, lime and ginger ice cream
Brandied fruit and nut ice cream
Strawberry ice cream

Happy summer solstice!

No comments: