Thursday, March 09, 2017

My favourite (accidental) culinary discovery last summer

A lot of my recipes involve variations on a theme. Cakes and biscuits adjusted to be more healthy (or at least less unhealthy), meat dishes altered to accommodate vegetarians, ice cream and soufflés tinkered with to feature different flavours and textures. So ...! Last month, while experimenting with what to put into a batch of rocky road ice cream, I stumbled across an incredibly simple recipe for coconut ice cream.

It is magnificent. I'm eating it as I write this.

600 ml fresh cream
200 g sweetened condensed milk
1 cup shredded coconut

Whip the cream, add the condensed milk and whip some more, then stir the coconut through. Combine well and spoon into freezer containers. Freeze and enjoy. Makes around two to three litres.

That's it. A friend recently gave us some dehydrated figs from her parents' farm, and serving the ice cream with figs makes it even more sublime.

Summer is over now and Canberra is seeing its first glimpses of autumn. This ice cream is so good I think I'll keep making it, regardless of the changing seasons.

No comments: