Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Rhubarb and apple pies


I was one of those kids who would have done really well at the Marshmallow Test. Ever since I was little I've saved the best for last, forced myself to do unpleasant tasks before being allowed to do more enjoyable ones, and hoarded treats for 'a rainy day'. The older I get the more it dawns on me that the time to enjoy treats is now. Or as an older lady recently put it, 'wear all your good jewellery every day!'

Today I walked past my garden and realised there was a whole bunch of ripe rhubarb growing there. Rather than leaving it there (to perhaps grow old and woody, or droop from the heat, or get eaten by passing possums and snails) I decided to seize the day, harvest it, and cook it for tonight's dessert.

1 apple, washed and chopped
about 10 stalks of rhubarb (or fewer if quite thick), washed and chopped
1 sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry

Preheat oven to about 240 degrees Celsius. Put the apple and rhubarb chunks in a glass container and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir and allow fruit to cool. Cut the pastry into four squares and use to line muffin tins. Spoon the fruit mixture into the pastry cases and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and puffy. Serve hot or at room temperature.


OK, so there's still a bit left for next time ...

No comments: