– retro food RULES. I don't know if this is because New Zealand tried modern cuisine then dumped it in favour of old-fashioned stuff, or if the Kiwis have never noticed the rest of the world has moved on. No matter. The kumara chips:
mini mince pies (known as 'savouries'), custard squares, yo-yos, afghans, neenish tarts, gingernuts and lolly cake ...
are all excellent!
– the tiny town of Oamaru (population about 13,000) is surprisingly charming
– school kids still wear disgustingly ugly roman sandals (and I even saw one adult wearing them – UGH!)
– NZ drivers can be pretty dodgy
– our favourite Wellington eatery, Caffe Mode, hasn't disappeared – yaaaay!
– Wellington's new suburban trains are cute as a button, and the Coastal Pacific train between Christchurch and Picton is fun.
More musings – and NZ-inspired recipes – to come in future posts, I suspect ...
Street sign across the road from the Beehive. How cute is that?