Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins


We try not to have cakes, biscuits, or any kind of junk food at home. Too tempting. But I do like an excuse to bake, and it is my partner's turn to take morning tea to the office tomorrow. This is a delicious way to use up excess zucchinis. The recipe started out as a cake on the BBC's web site. I've made about ten alterations to it though, and it seemed easier to retype the (adjusted) recipe than to explain them all! I hope this doesn't get me into any strife ...

175 g wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
40 g cocoa powder
100 g raw sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
80 ml olive oil
1 large or 2 small eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup grated zucchini [courgette]
80 g hazelnuts, toasted and chopped

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour 12 muffin tins (or do what I do and use silicone bakeware ;-) Mix all ingredients together and spoon into the muffin tins. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Makes 10 to 12.

Optional topping: wait till they are cool, then melt 100g of dark chocolate. Wait till it is thick and spread on top of muffins. Mmmmm.

No comments: