Thursday, March 21, 2019

Whiz-bang new toy

I bought an app! This is a rare occurrence. I use my [Android] smartphone for pretty mainstream stuff ... email, news, blogs, fitness tracking, photos and instant messaging. Anyway. A couple of years ago I discovered the joy of listening to podcasts, both those provided by the ABC (Australia's public broadcaster) and from a range of other sources. While the ABC Listen app is pretty competent, up until recently I was listening to non-ABC podcasts via the Feedly app (an RSS feed reader). Not ideal. I'm not complaining about Feedly – it's essentially for reading text rather than listening to sound files – but it seemed to become increasingly flaky when playing podcasts, to the point where it was time to find Plan B. Big thanks to my partner Andrew for finding and recommending the perfect app! For the grand sum of A$4.99 I've now purchased Pocket Casts and it is wonderful. It was easy to find and subscribe to all of my favourite podcasts ... and the app just works. No cutting out, no crashing, no flakiness. I'm bingeing on podcasts. Delicious.

No comments: