Sunday, December 24, 2017

The Art of Frugal Hedonism

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays ... or whatever greeting you prefer at this time of year! As always I'm hoping for a clutter-free Christmas. The gifts I'm giving are virtual (e-book vouchers), experiential (a trip to the ballet, a haircut, meals out, visits to exhibitions, food and wine) and charitable (donations to my favourite good causes). Fingers firmly crossed I finish this week with no more tangible possessions than I have now.

Anyway, time for a book recommendation. I am currently reading The Art of Frugal Hedonism: A Guide to Spending Less while Enjoying Everything More on my Kindle and it's an absolute delight.


Seriously. Read this book!

I've been on a bit of a journey for, well, decades, to find ways to live happily and meaningfully with minimal possessions and waste. As I get older it seems even more important as I'd like to (a) retire from my day job sooner rather than later, and (b) not leave a house full of crap when I die. Annie Raser-Rowland and Adam Grubb's book is a joyous roadmap to leading a frugal, ethical and healthy life. It is beautifully written and inspiring.

If you're still looking for a last-minute gift for someone, I bet they'd love the e-book. Or you could give them a hand-made voucher offering your time (in the garden, pet sitting, walking around a gallery, whatever), or a virtual goat. Or some home made shortbread or granola. Cheers!

No comments: