- Take them out for a meal or send a voucher for a restaurant or café near them
- Buy (or grow) a plant for their garden
- Do they have a Kindle or other ebook reader? Ebook vouchers!
- Food and wine are fun to receive and ephemeral
- Maybe they're going overseas soon and could use some foreign currency? US$, euros, yen or whatever
- Charity gifts (if they're so inclined), such as a goat for a needy community
- If they're into microfinance, Kiva vouchers
- Virtual gift exchanges ... for example, for many years my sister and I have each taken ourselves out to the hairdresser before Christmas and pretended our new 'dos were gifts from each other
- Mobile phone credit
- Fancy soaps that'll make their bathroom smell lovely for a week or so then disappear down the drain
- Bike repair vouchers
- Movie vouchers
- Google Play/iTunes vouchers
- Experiences ... cooking classes, language classes, a day out in a kayak, a concert, a ballet, a play, an exhibition ...
C'mon people. Let's avoid the deadweight loss of Christmas!
Happy holidays to y'all.