Sunday, December 13, 2015

It's a mystery

The first time I read a detective novel it was an accident. I was about seven years old and my local library was selling off excess children's books for ten cents each. I had thirty cents to spend so grabbed what I thought was three Enid Blyton books, then one of them turned out to be The Mystery of the Fire Dragon, the thirty-eighth volume about the adventures of Nancy Drew, girl detective. (Actually, that accidental purchase probably kicked off two lifelong passions: mystery stories and books set in Asia.) From Nancy Drew it was just a hop, skip and a jump to Trixie Belden and The Three Investigators. Fast forward a few years and I still love reading mystery novels. Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden have given way to grown-up amateur and not-so-amateur detectives. Here are a few of my favourite series and writers:


All good! While I may have once harboured dreams of becoming a detective myself, these days I put my attention to detail to use in more prosaic ways ... working as a copyeditor, and finding lost stuff around the house ...

No comments: