Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Binge-reading Sri Lanka

The countdown is on. I'm going to Sri Lanka in less than a week. Woo hoo! The country has been at the top of my bucket list for decades and the trip, a small group tour, has been booked and rescheduled and rescheduled. Finally I think it's going to happen. Accordingly, I've been reading (and sometimes rereading) fiction and non-fiction about Sri Lanka and by Sri Lankan writers, to get in the mood and top up my knowledge. Recommended:

Chai Time at Cinnamon Gardens by Shankari Chandran
Brotherless Night by V.V. Ganeshananthan
Untethered by Ayesha Noon
Saree by Su Dharmapala
The Body in the Paddy Field and Murder at the Wedding by Nadishka Aloysius
Growing: Seven Years in Ceylon by Leonard Woolf

and the one that got away …  The Sweet and Simple Kind by Yasmine Gooneratne. I bought this novel second-hand, in paperback, several years ago and enjoyed it. I donated it to our local bookfair, assuming I'd track it down again if I ever wanted to reread it, and have never found it. Maybe there'll be a copy somewhere in my travels. Fingers crossed.

No comments: