Friday, January 08, 2021

Happy New Year and a salad generator

G'day and happy 2021 to you! 2020 was weird and stressful and tragic and I'm hoping for a less scary 2021. I spent large chunks of last year pottering in the garden to distract myself from everything happening in the wider world. If anything, I suspect it made me less adventurous in the kitchen. Maybe it's time for a reboot. Time to find some more flavour combinations. It's summer here in Canberra and I've been thinking about salads. I've posted about some of my favourite salads before but have tended to return to familiar combinations of ingredients. I'm wondering if, by reminding myself of many possible salad ingredients, I can jazz up my salad making this year. Today's dinner is a case in point …

Baby spinach, roasted pumpkin, corn kernels, feta cheese and pine nuts

Anyway, here are some salad ingredient ideas ...

Leafy vegetables
rocket [arugula]
lettuce (iceberg, cos, whatever …)
baby spinach
cabbage
kale

Not-so-leafy vegetables
cucumber
snow peas
carrot
roasted/cooked pumpkin, beetroot, sweet potato

Fruits
tomato
avocado
pear, apple, nashi
stone fruits (nectarine, peach, apricot, cherry)
pomegranate seeds
mandarin portions
corn kernels
lychees
olives
berries
capsicum [bell pepper]

Nuts and seeds
almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios …
pine nuts
sesame seeds

Cheeses
blue
camembert/brie
haloumi
feta

Meats and fish
chorizo, bacon
salmon, tuna

Dressings
I don't usually put dressings on salads. Assuming the other ingredients chosen are flavoursome, there seems no need to add extra fat or sugar. But things like fresh lime juice, tahini and tamari are fun.

No comments: