Sunday, May 17, 2020

Quarantine lime pie

My friend Lisa lives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania but spent several years living in Charleston, South Carolina. She recently recommended this pie recipe to me! I've had to adjust a few things (ingredients, weights, temperature) to bake it here in Australia. I also halved the recipe, the first time I made it, as it's all too tempting to overeat at the moment.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

For the crust

90 grams Arnott's Salada crackers, crushed
50 grams salted butter, melted *
20 grams brown sugar

Combine well. Press into the bottom of a lined pie pan **. Chill for 15 minutes then bake for 15 minutes.

For the filling

0.5 can (~200 grams) sweetened condensed milk
2 egg yolks
0.25 cup lime juice

Combine well. Pour into the pie crust and bake for 15 minutes or until filling has set.

At the end

150 ml fresh cream, whipped ***
sea salt

To serve, wait till the pie has cooled completely then pile on the whipped cream and sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy!

Afterthoughts ...

* the original recipe said to rub the butter into the other two ingredients and I melted it instead (call it laziness). My version worked fine but the base was a bit crumbly and may have been less crumbly if I'd been less lazy ;-)
** I used a silicone cake mould for my first attempt at this pie, but will use a springform pan next time as it was difficult to remove the cooked pie, even though I'd lined the cake mould with non-stick baking paper at the start.
*** alternatively, you could use the egg whites left over from making the filling to make a meringue topping. Nom nom. Info on how to do that can be found in my recipe for lemon meringue pie.


The original recipe specified Saltine crackers but
Arnott's Salada was an excellent local alternative

No comments: