Tuesday, December 10, 2019

J is for (ahem) jelly

There aren't many ingredients that start with the letter J (well, that I can think of) so I'm afraid today's entry in the alpharecipe challenge is another novelty item. Jelly [or perhaps Jell-o, if you're in the US]. Most jellies I've seen in recent years have been at kids' parties, though occasionally the ingredient sneaks into an actual dish I make. A few weeks ago – in a seventies-style feast – I made a lime jelly cheesecake. (Surprisingly delicious!) And once in a while I make this very silly dessert:

Jelly Fluff

one can of evaporated milk
one packet of jelly crystals

Chill the evaporated milk. Meanwhile, mix the jelly crystals with one cup of boiling water (i.e. half the quantity of water specified on the packet) and cool until it is starting to thicken. Put the evaporated milk into a large bowl and beat until it becomes fluffy and doubles in volume. Beat the jelly into the milk and chill the mixture in the fridge for several hours.

No comments: