Tuesday, November 20, 2018

One night in a spaceship

Last weekend I attended a one-day seminar (related to my editing work) in Sydney. I was travelling alone and didn't want to spend too much money, so looked for accommodation at the cheap 'n cheerful end of the scale. When I discovered Sydney has a Japanese-style 'capsule' hotel, I decided to give it a go! Space Q is called that, I guess, because it's like sleeping in a spaceship, rather than because it is spacious ;-)

The setup is sort of like bunk beds, but with walls and card-controlled doors.


I climbed up three stairs to get to my bed


My sleeping space (view from foot of bed)


There was an electronic panel allowing the occupant to
control lights and fan speed, and charge devices

The place was clean, comfortable, central, and about one third of the cost of a hotel room. It was also well-appointed, with shared laundry and kitchen facilities. My only quibble was that while I could alter the fan speed I couldn't control the temperature, and my pod was rather hot. Still ... it was an adventure!

No comments: