Sunday, March 01, 2020

Lolly cake (a weird Kiwi thing)

Every time we go to New Zealand I return to Australia with an eclectic collection of foods and toiletries not (easily) found in Australia. It's lucky I can't find some of these things locally as they're waaaaay too sugary for regular consumption! Anyway. On our recent trip to NZ I picked up some Eskimos so I could make a lolly cake to take to our friends' place for dessert tonight.


The main ingredients


I'm sure Eskimos used to be more garish.
Looks like they've stopped using artificial colours 

50 grams butter
0.5 can (about 200 grams) sweetened condensed milk
1 packet (250 grams) malt biscuits
1 packet (150 grams) Eskimos

Crush the biscuits and break up the Eskimos. Melt the butter and condensed milk together. Combine all ingredients. Pour mixture into a lined tray and squash it flat. Chill then slice.

Another option is to roll the mixture into a log shape, roll in coconut, then chill and slice, but I opted for the less faffy version today.

No comments: