Sunday, January 26, 2020

Brekkie @ La Empanada

It's been a while since I reviewed a new brekkie joint! Andrew and I still try to go out to breakfast at a cafe most Sunday mornings, but often return to places we've been already ... or forget to take photos. I'd been meaning to try La Empanada in Gunghalin for a while. From 2004 to 2011 I worked at a research site where there was a tiny cafe run by a lovely Chilean couple. I think that's where my coffee habit really kicked off – coffee time was a good excuse to sit in a pretty courtyard and chat with colleagues – and the proprietors also made some great food, including magnificent handmade hamburgers, a wonderful chocolate beetroot cake (my version here), and mouth-watering empanadas.

The people who run La Empanada came to Canberra from Ecuador and ran a stall at the Old Bus Depot Markets before opening their cafe in Gungahlin, right around the corner from the Gungahlin Place tram stop. We went there for breakfast today.


We started with coffees, and delicious brownie morsels:


then had some empanadas:


Andrew had one with spicy pork chorizo, I had one with
beef and veges, and we each had one with spinach and cheese


This was a delicious breakfast, and empanadas would also make great lunches and dinners, so I'll have to buy some to take home next time I'm in Gungahlin. There are plenty to choose from! Yum.

No comments: