Tuesday, December 03, 2019

C is for cheese, cardamom and coriander

Day 3 of my alpharecipe challenge. I realised that several of my favourite ingredients start with the letter C so am including them all ...

Cardamom

One of my favourite spices. Delicate and delicious. Unfortunately our friends' kids tend to reject any desserts that I make that include cardamom. More for me, I say! Here are some recipes you may like to try:

wattalapam (a Sri Lankan baked custard)
firni (a spicy rice pudding)
besan laddu (a chickpea flour fudge)
coffee and cardamom ice cream

Cheese

There are so many different cheeses, and so many things you can do with them! Here are some ideas.

asparagus, mushroom and blue cheese risotto
chocolate cheesecake
tomato fondue
Portuguese tarts
vegetarian shepherd's pie
really easy pizza
beetroot, spinach and goat's cheese salad
red velvet cake
mini cheese soufflés

Coriander

Coriander (also known as cilantro) is weird. People seem to love it or hate it. It's also quite difficult to grow, I've found, as the plant goes to seed very quickly. Some recipes use fresh coriander while others require the seeds (dried and ground); the two ingredients have very different flavours.

carrot and coriander soup
rice paper rolls
avocado salsa wraps
chickpea delight
coriander and green pea dip
spicy Thai salmon and lychee salad
pumpkin soup with drizzled coriander pesto
mushroom, lentil and rice casserole
spicy almonds

Nom nom.

No comments: