Saturday, August 10, 2019

Moringa choc chip cookies

It's been one year, this month, since I visited Timor-Leste. I'd always been fascinated by the place and the fascination has continued to grow. I read books, support Timorese charities, listen to Timorese music, and occasionally dabble in trying to cook Timorese food! While there our tour group snacked on some locally made moringa cookies and – while I didn't know what moringa was – I spotted some moringa powder in a Dili supermarket later that week so bought a packet:


It turns out that moringa is a tropical plant that features many valuable nutrients so is often used to supplement diets in Asian and African countries. The powder looks and smells remarkably like matcha green tea powder. Today I experimented with including some moringa powder in a biscuit recipe, finding that it enhanced both the flavour and the colour. Oh, and presumably the nutritional value ;-) I adjusted my versatile shortbread recipe to accommodate the moringa and choc chips.

200 grams butter
2 heaped tablespoons icing sugar
175 grams flour
25 grams moringa powder
0.5 cups ground rice or cornflour
200 grams chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar, add all other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Roll into small balls, flatten slightly, and place on a non-stick baking tray. Bake at 150 degrees C for 20 minutes.

Makes about two dozen. Store in an airtight container.


More info about moringa as treatment for malnutrition in Timor-Leste
Where to buy moringa powder in Australia ... I've also seen it at Healthy Life Belconnen, if you happen to be in Canberra.

Update: Monday 12 August 2019

Andrew and I really liked the moringa choc chip cookies and we also took them to our friends' place for dessert last night. While our (adult) friends were fine with them, their kids were quite scathing in their reviews! I'm used to their scorn – and have blogged about it before – but the flavour was quite strong so next time I'll use a smaller quantity of moringa (and not take these biscuits to the same friends' place!) One more thought ... given that moringa looks and tastes so much like matcha green tea I imagine it could be used in place of it in recipes. Ice cream, crème brûlée, etc. etc. etc.

No comments: