Sunday, September 16, 2018

Fancy-pants rice crackles

The lovely people at The Minimalist Vegan recently posted a recipe for a three-ingredient puffed rice slice. It's my turn to take dessert to our friends' place tonight and as their kids recently gave a big thumbs down to my besan laddu (apparently they don't like cardamom? inconceivable!) I figured I'd take something chocolate-y this time. My version of Maša's slice is vegetarian rather than vegan and I adjusted her proportions to use equal volumes of chocolate and puffed rice. Here's what I did:


  • Melted 2 cups of Belgian dark chocolate buttons with 2 tablespoons of cream (by microwaving for 2 minutes on medium in a large Pyrex jug)
  • Stirred 2 cups of puffed rice into the chocolate mixture
  • Squished it into a silicone cake mould
  • Refrigerated for a couple of hours.


The uncut mixture


Some of the finished cakes

If I make it again I'll probably use more cream so it's easier to slice and doesn't shatter so much. Still! Very yummy. We think the munchkins will approve. It's a little like an upmarket version of the traditional NZ (and Australian) kids' birthday party treat chocolate crackles.

No comments: