Saturday, March 01, 2014

Roasted mushrooms with feta and garlic

I've celebrated two significant work anniversaries in recent weeks: it has been thirty years since I started my first full time job (at the age of sixteen), and ten years since I joined my current employer.

Ten years ago I told an about-to-be-ex-boss that, contrary to popular opinion, life is not too short to stuff a mushroom. I'd been working long hours to the detriment of my nutrition (and sleep) and hoped that by changing to a less demanding job I'd find more time to cook. It worked, and the ensuing years have been packed with good food!

OK, so the mushrooms here are not exactly stuffed, but they're well worth trying.

4 large flat mushrooms
100 grams feta cheese, crumbled
olive oil
chopped garlic
pepper and salt
rocket [arugula]

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Place the mushrooms, stem side up, in a roasting pan. Sprinkle the feta and garlic on them, then drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for about 20 minutes, and serve on a bed of rocket. Serves two.


No comments: