Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Happy Ada Lovelace Day

I just read in the Guardian that today is Ada Lovelace day. Apparently ‘All that people need to do to take part in Ada Lovelace Day on Tuesday 16 October is to talk about the accomplishments of a woman in science, technology, engineering or maths (STEM), whether in a blog post, Facebook update, video, podcast or other medium.’ Why not? Marie Curie has been my science heroine ever since I was a little kid. I've always been intrigued by the story of her early years secretly studying in Poland, and her enormous achievements in both physics and chemistry. (I'm also a little tickled that we were born almost 100 years apart.) I won’t list all Madame Curie’s accomplishments here – her page on Wikipedia is a good place to start if you want more info. Other women in science whose stories and activities have inspired me are Ada Lovelace, Rosalind Franklin and Ruby Payne-Scott.

So, who is your science heroine?

No comments: