Sunday, July 03, 2022

Mincecraft and Aunty Bri

Many, many years ago I studied at Massey University, in Palmerston North, New Zealand. Well, when I say I studied there, it was mostly as an 'extramural' or external student, so I didn't spend much time at the actual campus. My degree was spread over seven years of part-time study (and full-time work) and I attended the campus a couple of weeks per year to participate in lectures and schmooze with fellow extramural students.

Anyway! Massey's student newspaper was called Chaff. The Macquarie Dictionary defines chaff as:

the husks of grains and grasses separated from the seed

and I guess the name was derived from Massey's previous identity as an agricultural college. It wasn't unusual to see Massey students wearing gumboots to class. My favourite thing in Chaff was Aunty Bri's advice column. It was hilarious. When I spotted Aunty Bri's Cook Book and Guide to Flatting Life in the university bookshop circa 1990 I couldn't resist buying a copy. It remains a treasure to this day.

Aunty Bri's book is a guide to negotiating life with flatmates but also contains heaps of simple, cheap recipes. Some of the recipes are philosophical rather than edible and many of the (edible) recipes involve mince. When I think of Aunty Bri, I think of mince. I don't cook much meat these days, but if you do, and you're trying to think what to make for dinner tonight, here are some of my mince recipes (no, not stolen from Aunty Bri):

Chinese dumplings
deconstructed samosas
Greek-style meatballs with tomato sauce and olives

If you, like me, are getting less carnivorous in your old age, there's always the plant-based option

No comments: