Saturday, January 01, 2022

Happy New Year! (Let's hope so, anyway ...)

Almost forty years ago I spent two summers working at a berry farm about 10 km from my parents' place. I would wake up around 6 am, jump on my bike, pedal furiously till I reached the farm, and spend all day standing in the hot sun picking (and, ahem, eating) raspberries. We were paid piece rates – around 24 cents per pound (why wasn't it kilos?) if I remember correctly – and in my best week EVER I took home $45. I did eat an awful lot of the berries I picked. People said I'd grow to hate berries but I didn't. Now that I'm fifty-something and lucky enough to have a backyard, berries feature heavily.

Currently eating: raspberries, boysenberries,
blackberries and gooseberries

Happy new year. Let's hope 2022 is kind to us all.

No comments: