Saturday, August 27, 2016

Choc chip cookies, two ways

From a very young age I used to make chocolate chip cookies using this recipe, found in my Mum's handwritten cookbook from her teenage years. They were easy to make and a real crowd-pleaser, but very sweet. Recently I've been experimenting with adding chocolate chips  and other goodies  to traditional Scottish shortbread biscuits instead. They have a different texture, less chewy and not so sweet, and you can make the dough ahead of time, pop it in the fridge or freezer, and cook at a later date. This week I made a batch of choc chip shortbread cookies for a colleague's birthday:


The shortbread mixture welcomes all sorts of other inclusions. I've made this recipe with white choc chips and macadamias, pistachios and cranberries, and white choc chips and cocoa. You could also use M&Ms or other sweets [candies]. More experimentation may be required. I wonder if green tea or peanut butter shortbread would work ...?

No comments: