Monday, September 12, 2011

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress

Just finished reading a fabulous book: Mennonite in a Little Black Dress, by Rhoda Janzen. Find it at a library near you! I've mentioned my decision not to have kids here before, but wanted to share Rhoda Janzen's views on the subject, as she expressed them beautifully.

You know what troubles me? The notion that we should reproduce just because we can. Seems to me we should be able to articulate some proactive, deliberated reasons for bringing a child into the world. When women cite their biological clock, I wonder if they've thought that out. Shouldn't human beings assess their biological urges as well as admit them? What if we're having babies to feel less lonely, more needed? If so, we're using someone to make us feel better about ourselves. That's a little creepy.
(source: etcetera page 7, Mennonite in a Little Black Dress, by Rhoda Janzen, 2009)

Not my two cents' worth, someone else's this time. But I have to agree.

No comments: